Under the supervision of the project coordinator, the consultant will support UN-Habitat Office for Europe in the overall coordination and administration of Urban Maestro, liaison with Member States and related national institutions, as well as networking and promotion of sustainable uptake of project results.
This will include:
Support to project coordination and management
- Monitor and support project implementation to secure timely fulfilment of the project objectives, achievement of deliverables, responsible use of funds and compliance with reporting obligations;
- Organize online coordination meetings and draft minutes of meetings, prepare, consolidate, review and edit progress reports and other documents, coordinating and aligning inputs from various sources and partners;
- Collaborate with administrative services to prepare project team travel, consultant contracts and other acquisitions, from a logistic and administrative perspective. Liaise with and support the project financial certifying officer in the completion of his/her duties;
- Contribute to smooth communication among project partners (University College of London, Perspective Brussels/BouwMeester), as well as with UN-Habitat services at Headquarters (UPDB/CPEDU as well as other Branches);
- Manage project data (contacts, agenda, deliverables, reports, etc.).
Research, networking and communication
- Contribute to define and implement a stakeholder’s mobilization strategy as well as project exploitation and legacy plan. This shall notably include identification of and liaison with relevant partners, logistic and substantive preparation of advisory group meetings (in-person and online meetings), setting-up launching event and final conference;
- Keep abreast of related events and initiatives, liaise with organizers to identify and promote synergies with the project activities;
- Provide substantive inputs to other project activities such as the preparation of analytical framework; identification of national experts and case studies, analysis of urban governance tools/experiences, formulation of policy recommendations;
- Contribute to logistic and substantive preparation and implementation of workshops, taking an active role in facilitating working groups and reporting on process and results;
- Draft and/or review communication material. Prepare the content and timing of press releases and joint publications. Mobilize communication channels. Promote visibility of the project at local, national and international fora.
Support to project articulation with global urban agenda
- Support UN-Habitat HQ work relevant for the overall assignment, promoting alignment of Urban MAESTRO project activities and the global policy agenda;
- Contribute to exchange of information with UN-Habitat Headquarters on the analytical framework and on matters of engagement with third countries partners and expertise;
- Contribute to elaborate an overview of UN-Habitat’s Design governance tools and experiences outside the EU, including mapping of key partners;
- Facilitate participation of non-EU partners to the project workshops;
- Provide liaison support to related activities of UN-Habitat Urban Planning and Design Branch in Europe.
Travel. This assignment is office-based and requires daily presence in Brussels. The assignment will require a few missions (estimation: duration of 3 days 3 times a year) from Brussels to other European destinations, for which UN-Habitat will pay travel expenses separately.
The consultant will be requested to provide synthetic progress reports monthly, demonstrating his contribution to Urban Maestro agreed deliverables and implementations schedule.
- Planning & Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings;
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to urban design governance in a variety of contexts, at the European level. Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, social science, public administration, geography, urban planning or a related field.
Work experience: A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project management, policy and advocacy, knowledge management, partnerships and communication, or related field, including experience in drafting a variety of documents and organizing public events or meetings. Prior experience in the management of projects within the EC Horizon2020 programme and/or the United Nations is an advantage.
English and French are the working languages in the United Nations Secretariat. English, French and German are the working languages in European Institutions. For the post advertised, fluency in English, both oral and written, is required. Knowledge of French and German is desirable. Knowledge of other European languages is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org