Senior Accountant. Berlin. Posting Date: 02/27/2019. Deadline: 03/19/2019Job Profile
The Senior Accountant is a full time position based in Berlin, Germany who will work closely with the Accounting Team Manager on accounting matters such as financial, accounting, tax and audit schedule preparation for various entities, and preparing analysis for assigned accounts. They will also assist the Accounting Team Manager with advising staff on accounting policies and procedures. Work is performed independently/under general supervision.Essential Duties and Responsibilities
include the following. OSF may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Ensure that documents submitted to Accounting for processing are in compliance with local regulations;
- Process accounting entries as assigned (eg. AP, AR, FA etc.)
- Prepare journal entries (regular, intercompany and adjusted), as needed;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation for all assigned entities;
- Reconcile petty cash accounts for all assigned entities, if any;
- Prepare monthly billing invoices for service agreement charges to clients;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, yearly data for tax reporting (VAT, Corporate tax etc) as assigned;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, yearly data for payroll processing as assigned;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and yearly analysis schedules for all assigned accounts and/or entities as assigned;
- Assist in preparation of yearend audit schedules and audit binders for all assigned entities;
- Analyze, on a monthly basis, balance sheets and income statement accounts to ensure data integrity across assigned entities;
- Run ad hoc reports from financial systems as needed (detail transaction reports, et al);
- Serve as Finance Department liaison for OSI staff;
- Back up other Accounting colleagues, as needed;
- Support Accounting Manager, as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Senior Accountant should have at least three years of experience working in an accounting department of a company or in public accounting with increasing responsibilities over those years and a firm understanding of German accounting and taxation regulations. The ideal candidate must have a high-level of self-motivation, ability to set and meet goals, while working comfortably in a dynamic environment where tasks may change due to changing demands and initiatives. They must be willing to work overtime during month end and year end close periods. Experience with private foundation accounting and taxation and exposure to grants processing is an advantage. Skills and Abilities:
The following list is not inclusive, but highlights a number of the most critical skills and abilities for performing the role.
- Manage work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, research financial data, troubleshoot and follow through on projects to completion, possess strong attention to detail, while meeting strict deadlines;
- Exercise good listening , written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office and experience with internet research and database management;
- Must be able to exercise critical thinking skills including good judgment and be a solutions-oriented individual.
- Show discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- Provide excellent customer service with a pleasant disposition and diplomatic manner when interacting with colleagues and the general public.
- Strong understanding of cultural differences and the proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds within a complex organization.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A./B.S.) with a major in Accounting from a four year accredited college or university or equivalent German Accounting degree
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in a situation relevant to the duties of this role is typically required to develop the skills required for this role.
- Knowledge and understanding of German accounting and taxation regulations
- Knowledge of General Ledger accounting software, NetSuite preferred;
- High degree of comfort with a variety of IT systems;
- Expertise in working with large volume of data (export, import to/from different systems);
- Fluency in English and German
Applications will be screened on a rolling basis
Competitive rates of pay apply.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and are committed to providing reasonable adjustments so that colleagues with disabilities are able to fulfill the essential functions of the job.