ACT Alliance Advocacy to the European Union is seeking to recruit a Policy Officer on Humanitarian Policy & Practice.
Purpose of the position:
ACT Alliance EU is seeking a dynamic Policy Officer whose main focus will be to influence European Union humanitarian policy and practice in line with ACT Alliance humanitarian priority agendas, not least in relation to World Humanitarian Summit and Grand Bargain commitments around localisation, participation and resilience, drawing from the work of the global ACT Alliance and ACT Alliance EU members.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Monitoring and reporting on relevant developments at EU and member state level;
- Networking and relationship-building primarily in Brussels;
- Researching and developing advocacy objectives;
- Planning and undertaking and leading strong and effective advocacy towards key EU institutions and member states;
- Monitoring, follow-up and evaluation of ACT Alliance EU’s humanitarian advocacy strategy;
- Ensuring good coordination of ACT Alliance EU and its members on key advocacy lines and activities;
- Good coordination with other relevant agencies including UN bodies and INGOs allowing for alliance building where appropriate;
- Ensure necessary links are made with the global humanitarian advocacy work of the ACT Alliance.
Key working relationships:
The Policy OfficerL
- reports directly to the Director and works closely with the other colleagues in the ACT Alliance EU secretariat in Brussels;
- has strong links with the ACT Alliance Head of Humanitarian Affairs, Head of Advocacy & Policy and Programme Manager for Migration and Displacement in Geneva;
- works closely with the HPP Working Group as well as member agencies' offices and partner organisations;
- liaises closely with other relevant humanitarian, development and human rights organisations and networks and participates in actions with coalitions;
- liaises with ACT Alliance regional staff as necessary, especially the Humanitarian Programme Officer for Europe.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and competences:
- Degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline – e.g. political science, EU affairs or international relations, humanitarian affairs;
- Minimum 5 -7 years of experience in a challenging and fast-paced political and policy-making environment;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the EU and its institutions and processes and the challenges they pose for advocacy on Humanitarian Policy & Practice;
- Knowledge of and sympathy for ACT Alliance EU’s key advocacy themes, particularly issues concerning localisation, including Survivor-and-Community-Led-Crisis-Response, the role of faith actors in humanitarian aid and diversity of the humanitarian eco-system;
- Familiarity with working in an ecumenical network/context;
- Experience of successful advocacy towards the EU institutions;
- Strong networking skills;
- Experience of successful coordination of a coalition or network;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Sound knowledge of humanitarian issues.
- Strong planning and strategic skills;
- Ability to work flexible hours and to undertake international travel as required;
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, tailored to different audiences, as well as proven ability to speak in public;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesise information to support sound decision-making;
- Team player;
- Ability to work independently and to manage time effectively.
Conditions and application process:
Contract: The Policy Officer is appointed on a permanent contract and is based in Brussels.
Salary in accordance with ACT Alliance EU salary scales
The position includes travel, as needed and within budget.
Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply: Applications should include CV, names of referees, and a cover letter addressing the competencies required. The application should be sent to: [email protected] with the subject “Humanitarian Policy & Practice Policy Officer application”
Closing date to submit application: by 6 April 2019 at 12h CET
Interviews: will be held early May by skype
For more information write to us at [email protected] or click here to read the full job description.