POSITION SUMMARY AND PURPOSE
The primary responsibility of this position will be to ensure the successful implementation of IYF’s programs in Tanzania. This position will provide strategic leadership, ensuring successful delivery of IYF Tanzania programs for intended results and spearheading the growing program portfolio, while infusing a strong culture of planning, coordination and learning. Duties include overseeing program and office operations; leading development of a country strategy; providing input into the design and delivery of the program activities; and supporting staff to effectively execute programs.
The Country Director will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The ideal candidate will be a leader who is committed to international development and driven by results; passionate about promoting a values-driven work environment dedicated to youth economic opportunity; and has demonstrated experience successfully leading youth development programs and teams in Tanzania and/or internationally.
- Program Management: Ensure well-coordinated project and financial management in the implementation of the IYF Tanzania portfolio to achieve program outputs and outcomes in accordance with donor expectations, grant agreements, and work plans.
- Staff Supervision: Exercise strong leadership and supervision of staff; adopting, upholding and building team buy-in to important organizational values and working norms, and leading new recruitment efforts.
- Fiduciary Oversight: Ensure sound treasury and cash management of office and program funds through responsibly executing fiduciary responsibilities. Oversee day-to-day fiscal matters associated with country operations, program budgets, and reporting. Ensure compliance to program requirements and IYF policies.
- Country Office Leadership: Provide daily oversight and management of the IYF Tanzania office, be the primary contact person in Tanzania, and represent IYF for overall program interests at local, national and regional meetings, workshops and conferences.
- Partnership Management. Support donor relations and contribute to other donor discussions and relationship development efforts as needed. Manage and cultivate collaborative key program partner and stakeholder relationships through regular interaction and communication.
- Strategic Planning: Oversee the development and implementation of the new country strategy in close communication with IYF USA.
- Program Administration and Monitoring: Establish and ensure oversight for effective program operating procedures to ensure the timely and compliant execution of planned tasks and activities. Provide leadership to overall design and direction of MERL in Tanzania, working closely with IYF Tanzania’s MERL Manager and IYF US’s MERL Director/team, ensuring the country-level learning agenda aligns with and contributes to IYF’s regional and global learning agenda.
- Reporting and Planning: Oversee the preparation of periodic and annual reports per donor requirements, and support development of annual project work plans and budgets as needed.
- Technical Assistance: Work with the program team to provide capacity strengthening support to partners as needed.
- Resource Mobilization: Work closely with IYF USA’s Africa regional team and program partners to support/expand IYF programming in the region.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to effectively balance working toward IYF Tanzania’s program vision with day-to-day program execution.
- Dynamic approach to leadership and decision making that maximizes resource mobilization, emphasizing coordination and collaboration by working with and through teams including IYF USA, regional teams, Tanzania office teams and local partners, to deliver quality programming.
- Resilient leadership, supervisory and coaching experience, employing a motivational management approach to team building.
- Strong communications skills in English and Kiswahili (written and oral), including demonstrated ability to produce high-quality donor reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills for operating efficiently and effectively in a multicultural, international environment, and ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with staff at all levels and locations in IYF, partners, donors and other external stakeholders.
- Commitment to providing a positive, productive work environment for employees. Trust and faith in teamwork and staff expertise, comfortable delegating.
- Excellent strategic planning, presentation, teambuilding, and analytical skills, with the ability to professionally and effectively identify, establish, and attend to priorities.
- Strong ICT skills, including fluency using MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Experience conducting data analysis and using management information systems a plus.
- Commitment to youth development and values-driven work environment.
- Bachelors’ degree and at least ten years of experience in program management and/or international development. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading international development programs in Tanzania.
- Established professional in Tanzania, with demonstrated ability to engage, maintain and build upon partnerships with donors, government and private sector stakeholders and community-based organizations. Strong networks within the public sector’s education and/or technical and vocational training systems preferred.
- Demonstrated ability and experience driving purposeful innovation in program design approaches and implementation of youth development projects.
- Experience in supervision of staff and managing teams, including assigning and directing work, conducting performance appraisals, training staff, promoting development, and creating a culture of engagement, collaboration and teamwork.
- Understanding of accountability, policy and compliance requirements.
- Proven strategic planning and project management experience.
- Experience in, and demonstrated understanding of, accountability, policy and compliance requirements.
Please submit the following documents in English via email to [email protected] with "Tanzania –Country Director" in the subject line:
Applications will be reviewed as received. This is a local hire position, and local nationals are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please. To be considered for this position please follow application instructions.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org