WaterAid is the #1 international non-governmental organization exclusively focused on clean water, hygiene and sanitation, and there are 780 million reasons we do what we do. That daunting figure is the number of men, women and children who have yet to see, taste and enjoy access to an improved water source.
WaterAid America (WAA), a Member of the global WaterAid federation, is seeking an experienced advocate with strong influencing, communication and interpersonal skills for the period of August – November 2019, covering the opening of the 74th session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA 74).
Working from WaterAid’s New York office, the Advocacy Officer will report to the Global Director of Campaigns, based in London, and coordinate WaterAid’s advocacy efforts at and after the UNGA. The Officer will use their experience navigating the UN and successful track record managing relationships and events to coordinate WaterAid’s strategic engagement at UNGA 74.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Plan, organize and coordinate logistics around WaterAid’s strategic engagement at UNGA 74
- Support the delivery of WaterAid’s advocacy on priority issues by developing, implementing and monitoring work-plans based on agreed strategies
- Maintain on-going knowledge and analysis of the policy and practice of selected key targets such as UN agencies, committees and other multilateral and international bodies, to inform the delivery of WaterAid’s global advocacy work.
- Work with the Global Director of Campaigns to co-ordinate relationships with relevant lobby targets and be responsible for other
- Support and advise colleagues on the delivery of international advocacy activities which are to be conducted at a national level
- Take responsibility for coordinating effective documentation, including gathering stories and communicating these (through video, audio, print) for print and digital publication, internally and externally
- Maintain and strengthen partnerships with international civil society allies and networks working on international development in order to share information and collaborate over opportunities, developing joint strategies, campaigns and action.
- Work on WaterAid’s cross-organizational advocacy priorities and, in collaboration with advocacy staff, strategically co-ordinate (and in some cases be the focal point for) WaterAid’s advocacy
- Coordinate regular communication (including taking responsibility for meetings, webinars and presentations) and initiate partnerships with other departments, country programs and WaterAid member countries in order to share information and collaborate over opportunities, developing joint strategies, campaigns and action.
- Undergraduate degree and at least 5 years’ relevant experience
- Extensive advocacy / public-facing campaigning experience, demonstrated by examples of strategic impact on policy change and experience of using policy, research, lobbying, public campaigning, media and digital work to influence a political agenda
- Sound political judgement and sensitivity, and proven experience of engaging with and influencing decision makers
- Fluent understanding and extensive experience of the techniques and skills required for effective project management.
- Understanding and experience of employing imaginative communication techniques and an appreciation of how those tools could work with policy, research and lobbying to influence a political agenda
- Experience working working on an international level to achieve change
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in how public campaigning, media and digital work can influence a political agenda
- Imaginative, creative and accurate written and verbal communications skills in English, and experience of producing communications materials and resources, particularly for digital platforms
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills and proven experience of contributing to strategy development, including monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to successfully manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships to achieve cross-organizational, collectively agreed goals
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
- Proficiency in another language preferably French or Portuguese
- Extensive knowledge of international development policy, preferably as it relates to health, education, water or sanitation
- Experience of representing organizations at a high level, as a spokesperson in the media and / or in high-level lobby meetings
Please email your CV and cover letter with "Advocacy Officer" in the subject line no later than 30 April 2019.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org