We are a global nonprofit organization that’s deepening trust and collaboration to solve complex causes of poverty. We use our proven approach to help diverse people and organizations around the world work together to achieve lasting change on issues that matter to them.
We believe in the power of building trust. We foster successful collaborations by building trust, designing and implementing change processes, and enhancing the effectiveness of bridging leaders and institutions. It’s how we create sustainable solutions around the world. We focus on issues with high potential for reducing poverty, and in which coordinated, aligned action by diverse stakeholders has the greatest potential to create opportunities for individuals and communities to thrive. Our programs raise local capacity for collaboration, innovation, and service delivery helping our partners achieve sustainable progress on important national priorities.
Synergos was founded in 1986 and has staff and representatives in Africa, Asia, the Arab World, Europe, Latin America, and the United States.
Global Philanthropists Circle
The Global Philanthropists Circle (GPC) is a community of leading philanthropic families and social investors using their time, influence, and resources to fight poverty and social injustice in their own countries and around the world. GPC increases the impact of members’ philanthropy and allows them to become more effective social investors by offering opportunities for learning and collaboration.
Synergos seeks a Director, Global Philanthropists Circle who will serve as a key relationship manager to about 20-30 GPC members and will work in collaboration with Managing Director, Philanthropy on the development of high-impact philanthropy around the globe. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, strategic thinker, a growth-minded relationship builder and will work as an effective member of our organization. The position is based in New York City.
Director, 6, Exempt
New York City
Synergos Philanthropy / Global Philanthropists Circle (GPC)
Reports to the Managing Director, Philanthropy
Global Philanthropists Circle (GPC) Relationship and Program Management
- Grow, strengthen and increase the effectiveness of individual and groups of philanthropists and social investors around the world who are working to tackle the underlying causes of poverty, equity and social injustice, prioritizing Synergos methodology (Bridging Leadership, inner work and building trust)
- Serve as primary Relationship Manager for 20-30 member families and at least 5 prospective members
- Develop and execute programming enabling members and prospects to have the opportunity to connect to each other, leverage knowledge and resources and act in new, more effective ways. This may include trips, meetings, events, webinars and other learning opportunities
- Generate revenue through member recruitment and renewal to ensure financial targets are achieved
- Develop, manage, grow affinity group programs for philanthropists and social investors focused on impact investing
Strategy and Planning
- Make a major contribution to GPC planning, including impact and value proposition, business model and revenue strategies, marketing, M&E systems, and overall reporting and operations systems
- Where/when possible, enhance the integration of GPC programming across all of Synergos activities and vice-versa to add value beyond discrete teams and projects
- Advise Services and Development teams on pipeline development and donor/client relationships vis-à-vis GPC members and their affiliated business or family organizations
Public Relations and Thought Leadership
- Raise the profile of the GPC and Synergos through thought leadership and attendance/presentations at panels, workshops, and conferences, as appropriate
- Represent Synergos more broadly - including Consulting Services and Development - at meetings, conferences and workshops, with the goal of creating more consulting clients and funders
- Identify members’ expectations to understand key needs and interests and create a strategy to ensure value added to each client in the portfolio
- Identify and recruit new members including engaging in research to identify perspective members; and designing strategies to recruit well-qualified candidates
- Develop and execute strategies to create 1) focused and meaningful peer learning experiences for members and prospects and 2) opportunities for donor and investor education
- Plan events, seminars, workshops, calls, webinars, conferences, dinners, in New York or other locations as appropriate to bring members (and where appropriate, other Synergos networks and stakeholders) together to discuss common sectoral interests, specific projects or other areas of collaboration
- Achieve specific targets for membership retention, prospecting and recruiting
- Supervise Senior Associate through thoughtful and timely performance management, to ensure s/he meets goals and targets and contributes effectively to the GPC and Synergos
- Support and contribute to activities throughout the organization as needed
- Demonstrate adherence to organizational values
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- At least eight years of professional experience related to philanthropy or international development
- Proven ability to plan and organize work, taking into account strategic priorities, time and resource constraints
- Outstanding written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to listen, learn from and teach others
- Ability to develop and oversee budgets
- Team player with good interpersonal skills, able to work within and manage diverse groups
- An entrepreneurial mindset, able to identify and pursue opportunities
- Understanding of and strong interest in impact investment and social investment
- A demonstrated commitment to high ethical standards and values consistent with those of Synergos
- A collaborative approach to working with internal and external colleagues to maximize the effectiveness of projects and programs
- Experience in meeting facilitation
- Experience in organizing international workshops, conferences or training highly desirable
- Prior experience and responsibility for organization of program strategy and project management
- Good marketing expertise
- Some experience living or working outside the U.S.
- Fluency in a foreign language, a plus
- Availability for domestic and international travel (~15-20%)
Please submit a cover letter highlighting your major achievements relevant to this position and your resume and indicate Director, Global Philanthropists Circle in the subject. No phone calls please.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org