The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body
The Policy and External Relations Team works closely with the Chair, Chief Executive and senior managers to set the agenda for our stakeholder activity. They act as the champions and leads of the British Council’s policy and external relations objectives. The team liaises with the Strategic Business Units, Global Network and managers across the organisation, advising on and coordinate external stakeholder activities.
This role will have responsiblity to ensure that British Council’s top UK stakeholders - specifically Parliamentarians - are well informed of the British Council’s work and engaged in our activities and programmes as appropriate, by:
- supporting senior British Council staff in the UK and overseas in their engagement with stakeholders;
- taking a strategic and co-ordinating role in delivering the British Council’s Parliamentary engagement;
- ensuring robust systems and processes for stakeholder management are followed and maintained; and
- drafting of policy briefings and articles for internal and external publication and contributing to parliamentary inquiries
Main duties will include:
- Provide the Secretariat to the British Council All Party Group, including management and delivery of the APPG’s Parliamentary events and visits programme, and supporting the PPG in running inquiries.
- Provide support for the delivery of top level stakeholder engagement events by managing guest lists, providing logisitcal support and arranging speakers.
- Contribute to the development, administration and implementation of the corporate list of top UK stakeholders – specifically MPs and Peers.
- Support colleagues in the UK and overseas to effectively and appropriately engage with high level stakeholders, including MPs, Ministers, Government officials, and leading figures from foreign affairs, the arts, the education sector, business and the third sector.
- Support the Parliamentary Relations Manager with British Council engagement with Parliamentarians both in the UK and when they travel overseas.
- Support the development and implementation of the Policy and External Relations strategic forward planning tools and processes to drive stakeholder engagement and coordinate associated communications activity across the organisation.
- Make effective use of information systems and communications tools, to ensure that stakeholder engagement is recorded, analysed and appropriately shared, in order to inform future approaches.
- Contribute to the Policy and External Relations Team’s social media platforms including the @InsightBritish twitter account.
- Drafting of policy briefings and articles for internal and external publication and contributing to parliamentary inquiries.
- Working with senior stakeholders.
- Events organisation and coordination.
- Experience of using social media in a professional setting
- Understanding of major political issues relating to soft power and/or cultural relations and international relations both in the UK and internationally.
- Understanding of politics and Parliament
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to draft high quality letters and other corporate communications materials, and to present clearly and effectively in a range of contexts
- Excellent project and/or event management skills.
- Highly motivated and demonstrates the ability to deliver challenging projects to tight deadline
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org