Pew Research Center is a nonpartisan fact tank that informs the public about the issues, attitudes and trends shaping America and the world. It conducts public opinion polling, demographic research, media content analysis and other empirical social science research in the areas of U.S. politics and policy views; media and journalism; internet and technology; religion and public life; Hispanic trends; global attitudes and U.S. social and demographic trends. Pew Research Center does not take policy positions. It is a subsidiary of The Pew Charitable Trusts. The Center’s work is carried out by a staff of about 160.
The communications associate is a member of the communications team whose primary focus will be promoting the center’s research on promoting the work of Pew Research Center’s research areas.
The communications associate will promote and disseminate findings through media relations, stakeholder engagement, event planning, publications and social-media outreach. The communications associate is skilled in working independently as well as part of a team; and is able to demonstrate initiative, professionalism and attention to detail. The communications associate has excellent verbal and written communication skills, and is comfortable communicating about statistics and data. The position may report to the communications director or assistant director, and requires working closely with relevant communications managers.
- Serves as initial point of contact for external inquiries, especially media inquiries; responds to incoming requests promptly, accurately and efficiently
- Reaches out to print, broadcast and online media through press releases, media advisories, pitch calls and social media
- Shares the responsibility for creating, updating and maintaining lists of media and other key stakeholders; identifies new people and organizations within our target audiences
- Assists with developing social media outreach to promote the center’s research
- Arranges interviews for experts, including coordinating logistics
- Tracks and documents, through spreadsheets and written reports, the results of external outreach activities
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of one or more of the Center’s research areas. Interest in, and knowledge of, polling and data science a plus.
- Facility with numbers and statistics
- Superior writing and verbal communication skills, including knowledge of AP style
- Must be detail-oriented
- Must have excellent judgment
- Must be proactive and customer-oriented
- Must be highly organized, able to balance multiple priorities, meet deadlines and work well in team-oriented environment
- Must be able to think strategically and work tactically
- Bachelor’s degree required; communications, journalism, English, or international relations degree preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in external relations, including media relations
- Knowledge of Washington and international press corps and public policy community
- Experience with social media and web marketing campaigns
- Experience with tools related to media outreach, including Cision, Factiva and Critical Mention
- Experience managing and using Salesforce or similar contact databases
- Experience with Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org