The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) strengthens democracy around the world through private enterprise and market-oriented reform. CIPE is one of the four core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy and is an affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Since 1983, CIPE has worked with business leaders, policymakers, and civil society to build the institutions vital to a democratic society. CIPE’s key program areas include Enterprise Ecosystems, Democratic Governance, Business Advocacy, Anti-Corruption & Ethics and Trade.
Position: Program Associate, Middle East and North Africa
Reports to: Program Officer, Middle East and North Africa
Job Description: The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) is seeking a full-time, non-exempt Washington D.C. based Program Associate in the Middle East North Africa Department. As part of a team reporting to the Program Officer this position will be responsible for providing programmatic and administrative support for CIPE’s Livelihoods Innovation through Food Entrepreneurship (LIFE Project), a refugee livelihoods program focused on food entrepreneurship in Turkey.
- Work in close collaboration with the Program Officer and other CIPE departments, ensuring processing of payment requests, travel expense reports, documents for signature, and international travel arrangements are completed in a timely manner.
- Create and maintain electronic and hard copies of program, financial, and contract files.
- Provide day-to-day administrative and programmatic support to the local staff based in Turkey for the U.S. government-funded livelihoods project for Syrian and other refugees and host communities in Turkey, focused on entrepreneurship development in the food sector.
- Assist in the design and development of program activities and related communications efforts.
- Assist in writing and compiling quarterly reports, proposals, and budgets. Assist with the development of Monitoring and Evaluation processes and tools.
- Assist in drafting sub-awards, contracts, and modifications.
- Communication and coordination with sub-awardees and contractors.
- Process and track payment requests, travel expense reports, documents for signature, narrative and financial reports from partners, etc.
- Coordinate international travel arrangements, events, and local meeting logistics.
- Monitor current events and U.S. relations in relevant countries and contribute to assessments of the impact on ongoing and planned CIPE projects.
- Collaborate with multiple CIPE departments to achieve programmatic goals, including Communications, Grants and Finance, Knowledge Management, and other regional teams.
- Correspond with field personnel, partners, consultants, and other stakeholders to coordinate project implementation.
- Adhere to appropriate CIPE, NED and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce policies and procedures.
- Provide support to another CIPE MENA as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in one the following fields is required: International Relations, International Business, Economic Development, Finance, Political Science, or Public Policy.
- Candidate should have a minimum of two years’ experience in and understanding of the region, its business issues, and/or CIPE and its operations.
- Background in international affairs and/or the Middle East with an emphasis on socio-economic issues; background in entrepreneurship development a plus.
- Professional experience in the food industry a plus.
- Excellence in English composition, writing, and reporting.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently with minimum supervision.
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated interest in MENA.
- Strong coordination skills.
- Articulate, well-organized, and able to take the initiative and lead on small projects as needed.
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously with limited supervision in a fast-paced environment.
- Good financial acumen and ability to develop, manage, and monitor project budgets.
- Strong project management skills.
- Arabic and/or Turkish language skills preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, and Access.
- Must be willing and able to travel to Turkey.
To apply for this opportunity, please send a resume or CV and cover letter, writing sample and salary history to [email protected], subject MENAPA-[Your Last Name]. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
There is a two-page limit on the writing sample. Submissions demonstrating writer’s ability to synthesize information are preferred. Applications submitted without writing samples will not be considered.
CIPE offers a salary competitive with other international non-governmental organizations and an excellent benefits package. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States; CIPE is unable to sponsor employees for work visas.
CIPE is an Equal Opportunity Employer.