This position is located in the National Strategies and Capacity Building Branch (NSCBB) of the Division for Sustainable Development Goals (DSDG) in the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA). The Branch is responsible for translating global policy, especially outputs from the High-level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development, into action by supporting member states in their efforts to implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at national level through substantive capacity building/technical cooperation activities. The Senior Programme Management Officer reports to the Chief of the National Strategies and Capacity Building Branch. The focus of this jobs is to lead or direct implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the capacity building programme of the Division.
Within delegated authority, the Senior Programme Management Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Takes the lead to develop, implement and evaluate assigned capacity building programmes/projects, etc.; directs colleagues in programme/project development, implementation, monitoring and assessment; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
- Ensures implementation of gender mainstreaming guidelines by assessing the implications for men and women of any planned action, including legislation, policies or programmes, in all areas and at all levels;
- Directs project and programme evaluation and presents information gathered from diverse sources;
- Coordinates policy development; reviews the assessments of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or research activities and studies;
- Undertakes survey initiatives; guides design of data collection instruments; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.;
- Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc. on capacity building, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, etc., makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Coordinates activities related to budget and funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and ensures preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Serves as an effective spokesperson and establishes collaboration and partnerships with key officials at all levels inside and outside the organization;
- Ensures effective utilization, supervision and development of staff; Guides, evaluates and mentors staff;
- May perform other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to sustainable development including the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals, with a particular focus on capacity building. Knowledge of international standards and good practices for capacity building programmes. Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics, sustainable development, natural sciences or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management in the area of sustainable development is required, of which at least five years must be at international level. Experience in formulation and evaluation of capacity development programmes and projects in the context of sustainable development is required. Experience in supporting national policy development and formulation is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org