The ‘Our Ocean’ Conference (OOC) Series: Initiated in 2014 by the US State Department, spearheaded by former Secretary of State John Kerry and attended by former President Barack Obama, the Our Ocean Conference series has elevated ocean issues on the global foreign policy agenda and catalyzed political will on actions to preserve global ocean health, including translating commitments into activities that have significantly enhanced the sustainability of oceans. Since 2014, a total of $18 billion USD has been pledged to support critical activities to improve the health of oceans, ensuring the provision of continued benefits for the societies, cultures and economies that depend on ocean ecosystems. Participation level at OOC has topped 1000+ over the years, and has included the presence of Heads of State, CEOs and executive representatives of global companies, heads of large philanthropic organizations, global funds, and international NGOs, as well as, members of the Royal families of Monaco, Sweden and Jordan.
Palau’s historical hosting of Our Ocean 2020: At the 4th Our Ocean Conference held in Malta and hosted by the EU, Palau became the first small island government to assume hosting duties of the OOC series. Palau joins Chile, Indonesia, the EU (Malta) and Norway as non-US hosts of the series. Palau will convene OOC 2020.
The coordination manager will lead the project activities to enable a successful OOC 2020 on behalf of the Government of the Republic of Palau, project donors and partners, and UNOPS.
The coordination manager is responsible for ensuring the efficient execution of OOC 2020 on behalf of the Government of the Republic of Palau and UNOPS including leading strategic and technical development, managing all key international partnerships and stakeholders, including lead project execution consultants and technical advisors, leading engagement with the implementation arm of the Government of Palau and ensuring important project stipulations and products are consistently met and exceeded. The coordination manager will directly support the work of the Palau Mission in New York under the direction of the Permanent Representative of Palau to the United Nations.
The OOC 2020 is a complex project with mid-level risks. The coordination manager is expected to develop and execute a strategy to engage governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), UN agencies, academia, media, the private sector, and UNOPS partners to successfully deliver the OOC 2020.
The coordination manager will have the following responsibilities:
Stakeholders and Partnerships Management:
- Lead the engagement of all partners, including key international partners and stakeholders attached to OOC 2020.
- Establish solid communication and manage the information flows between the implementation arm of the Government of Palau, the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), partner and key stakeholders and the larger OOC 2020 Coordination Team.
- Co-lead communications and ensure all stakeholders involved are aware of project activities, progress, and exceptions.
- Advise the partner on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements).
Technical and Strategic Development:
- Lead the development of a strategic workplan and project scope to aid in the seamless execution of OOC 2020 in line with expected outcomes and heighten ambition.
- Lead and manage all technical aspects of the policy and international relations objectives OOC 2020 in line with the vision and mission of the annual conference series, in particular leading the technical development and execution of Our Oceans Commitments and progress tracking.
- Manage engagement of all technical advisors and lead project consultants.
- Provide advisory support to the Palau Mission in New York and the Permanent Representative of Palau to the United Nations and the implementation arm of the Government of Palau on marine and ocean policy.
- Manage all communications and technical engagement with UNOPS.
Delivery and Performance:
- Provide strategies to the project manager during the development of the project plan.
- Define the work packages and quality metrics to deliver a successful OOC 2020 during the development of the project plan.
- Define the risks and risks mitigations during the development of the project plan.
- Monitor the performance of the project plan execution and facilitate the coordination with governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), UN agencies, academia, media, the private sector, and UNOPS partners to successfully deliver the OOC 2020.
Core Values and Principles:
- Understand and respect UNOPS sustainability principles
- Look for ways to embed UNOPS sustainability principles in day to day project management
- Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at work place
- Champion and communicate project’s sustainability aspects with key stakeholders
- Understand and Respect National ownership and capacity
- Understand the principles of the Paris Declaration on aid effectiveness and mainstream them into the project plans
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local staff
- Look for ways to build capacity of local counterparts
- Partnerships and Coordination
- Strive to build strong partnerships and effective coordination among relevant project actors (e.g. United Nations, governments, and non-governmental organizations or other relevant partners)
- Accountability for results and the use of resources
- The project management processes are designed to deliver maximum accountability, transparency and results. If a project or processes is not in line with this, in coordination with the project manager implement corrective actions.
- Contribute to innovation and the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability and quality.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Project deliverables contribute to the fulfilment of the OOC 2020 objectives, mission and vision.
- Work packages are delivered to the quality expectations of the partners.
- The Government of Palau, the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), partner and key stakeholders and the larger OOC 2020 Coordination Team are periodically appraised on the progress of the execution of the project plans
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org