The Washington Institute for Near East Policy is a nonpartisan think tank focused on advancing a balanced and realistic understanding of American interests in the Middle East. We are currently looking for a full-time Development Assistant to assist our Northeast Regional Director based in New York City.
- Provide administrative support to the Northeast Regional Director, including: booking travel, completing expense reports, draft correspondences, prepare background information on prospective donors or current trustees, and other administrative duties as needed.
- Identify and conduct research on prospective donors as well as outreach and follow-up, including mailing prospect kits and scheduling meetings.
- Support donor relations through direct and indirect means (phone calls, emails, mailings, etc.).
- Utilize fundraising database Raiser's Edge to maintain NY regional database - including data entry, running reports and queries, tracking event attendance, maintaining donor records
- Coordinate and manage speaking engagements between Institute fellows and trustees in the NY region, including preparing materials, booking scholar travel and hotels, maintaining RSVPS, and working with event locations regarding ordering food, registration and logistics of event
- Utilize events platform CVENT to create invitations for events
- Conduct foundation research, write foundation reports and grant proposals. Track multi-year gifts for renewals
- Work with DC-based communications teams for scheduling and creating event invitations, marketing materials, etc.
- Orchestrate quarterly billing campaigns for donors and trustees in the New York and Northeast Regions and interact with various levels of Institute donors for payment collection
- Work with Regional Director and outside staff to assist in special events
- Work with National Development Department in DC to facilitate donor needs/requests, including close work with Development Operations Manager and other Development Assistants based both in DC and other regions
- Assist with Board meeting preparation
- Assist Chairman, President, other Board Members, and Director with Institute duties in the New York region
- BA/BS in development, communications, business or related field preferred
- Strong administrative support skills
- Well-developed customer service orientation
- Ability to work effectively in teams and across organizational lines
- Self-motivated, adept at multi-tasking and prioritizing work
- Experience using Microsoft Office suite
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strength at building and maintaining relationships
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through
- Interest in the mission of The Institute and the Middle East region
- Experience with Raiser's Edge, CVENT helpful, but not required
- Self-starter and ability to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong organizational skills and propensity for planning and logistics
- Creativity and enthusiasm for thinking outside the box
Our ideal Candidate should possess:
- Excellent judgment and interpersonal skills
- Excellent sales/marketing-oriented skills
- Excellent communication and multi-tasking skills
Please take note of these important details:
- There is no travel or foreign language requirement related to this position.
- This position is for someone interested in learning the business of fundraising.
The Washington Institute offers its full-time employees a generous benefits package, including health, dental and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, generous paid time off, and a retirement savings program.
Learn more about us at www.washingtoninstitute.org.
Please submit your resume, salary requirements and a cover letter detailing why you think you are the right candidate for high-end donor fundraising in a think tank.
Only candidates submitting these requirements will be considered for the position.
The Washington Institute is an equal opportunity employer.