At the Inter-American Development Bank Group (IDB Group), we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
The team: IDB Lab is an innovation lab for the Inter-American Development Bank Group. It conducts high-risk experiments to test new models for engaging and inspiring the private sector to solve economic development problems in Latin America and the Caribbean. IDB Lab addresses poverty and vulnerability by focusing on emerging businesses and smallholder farmers with the capacity to grow and create economic opportunities.
What you’ll do:
The Institutional Engagement Unit (IEN) in IDB Lab works to enhance the alignment and synergies with the rest of the IDB Group and caretake for the strategic dialogue with institutional stakeholders like our Donors. To succeed in this effort, IEN relies on data and Information: a) to identify focus areas of collaboration with the rest of the IDB Group; and, b) to report IDB Lab´s activity every quarter to its Donors Committee, on all strategic aspects of the Lab, including resource mobilization.
The consultant will be tasked with:
- Designing and implementing a data-driven system to improve efficiency in all institutional engagement activities. This system could be digitalized and will allow: (i) to better track operational opportunities for institutional alignment in a more systematized manner in coordination with the Country Offices and Sector Departments; (ii) to increase responsiveness to Donors’ consultations and information requests; and (iii) to map and manage resource mobilization efforts.
- Organizing workshops at country level to accelerate the construction of Opportunity Canvas, a new tool to guide project origination.
- Generating the agenda and materials to support the above-mentioned workshops.
- Conducting data gathering to support analysis of external funds managed by IDB Lab (resource mobilization), and landscaping of potential other sources of funding to support IDB Lab’s mandate and three thematic areas.
- Producing data visualizations for portfolio reporting (i.e., Quarterly Report and Opportunity Canvas, a new tool to guide project origination), in coordination/supporting the Portfolio Managers in the Discovery Unit and Investment Unit.
Skills you’ll need:
- Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent program, in areas related to business administration, data management, international relations, or communication, in an accredited university.
- Experience: At least two years of relevant professional experience
- Languages: Proficient in at least one of the official languages of the Bank (English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French), preferably with a working knowledge of a second one.
- Proactiveness in communication with team members
- Attention to detail
- Willingness towards problem solving
- Mid-level in Excel (comfortable with VLOOKUP, SUMIF, Pivot Tables, etc.)
- Experience in visualization software such as Tableau or Power BI.
- Category and modality: Consultant.
- Contract duration: 12 months.
- Starting date: October 1, 2019.
- Place(s) of work: Washington DC, U.S.A.
- Responsible person: Chief, Institutional Engagement Unit (LAB/IEN).
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family memberscurrently working at the IDB Group.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org