Win Without War is looking for a junior or mid-career professional to help grow our communications and media engagement work. We’re looking for someone who can approach the job with a campaigning mindset, thinking about how we move from where we are to where we want to be on our core issue set. If you want to help us increase our brand awareness, deepen our ties in progressive and mainstream media, and work on a great team committed to advancing a more peaceful and progressive foreign policy for the United States, keep reading!
Here’s what you’d do in the job:
- Draft and coordinate the sending of press releases, statements, advisories, talking points, and media memos.
- Serve as the primary author of key communications products including weekly grasstops/insider focused newsletter, opinion pieces, and other items.
- Organize and coordinate media events including petition deliveries, press conferences/calls, and other earned media events.
- Establish and/or maintain relationships with relevant reporters, editors, and producers.
- Establish and/or maintain relationships with communications staff working in Congress and partner organizations, coordinate joint initiatives as necessary.
- Assist digital team on social media strategies, messaging, and tactics.
- Support and assist in rapid response strategies and tactics.
- Other duties as needed.
You could be great for this job if you:
- Have 3-5 years communications experience* in either the progressive movement or foreign policy spaces.
- Write in a clear and compelling way, whether it’s engaging content for journalists or concise, informative updates to other staff members.
- Possess a strategic sense allowing you to identify political opportunities where activism can deliver progressive victories, and the ability to articulate the strategic rationale for our actions to diverse audiences.
- Have a strong and consistent attention to detail.
- Have strong organizational skills and the ability to handle competing priorities without letting key tasks slip through the cracks.
*“Experience” does not necessarily mean full-time, paid experience.
Everyone at Win Without War has:
- A passionate commitment to progressive values, and to our vision of a U.S. foreign policy rooted in those values.
- A willingness to be nimble and work without ego as part of a proactive team of leaders.
- A commitment to the necessity of equity and working to dismantle systems of oppression.
- The ability to rapidly develop a working understanding of the politics of national security as it involves Congress, the Executive Branch, civil society institutions, the media, social justice movements, material forces, ideology, and political culture.
- The ability to work independently when necessary, manage projects, and execute multiple simultaneous tasks on tight deadlines.
- A healthy sense of humor.
- Fluency in written and oral American English.
Experience in one or more of the following areas isn’t required, but is a plus:
- Published original content or media appearances.
- Experience working with communications in an advocacy/campaigning organization and/or in Congress.
- Prior experience in foreign policy or national security.
- Established relationships with journalists, broadcast producers, or other media contacts.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org