Vital Strategies is a US-based international public health organization working in more than 70 countries to address important and challenging health issues. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Join Vital Strategies and you might find a team of lawyers advising the Ministry of Health in Nigeria on COVID-19 response. A public health advisor working with a Ministry of Transportation official to redesign traffic intersections in Colombia. A doctor conducting clinical trials on tuberculosis in Mongolia. A journalist designing a social media campaign to curb trans-fat consumption in India.
Because of Vitals’ comprehensive approach, and a steadfast commitment to quality programs, the organization has experienced explosive growth in the past five years, from $50 million in 2014 to $150+ million in 2020 (exclusive of significant COVID-19 related funding). Vital Strategies is also growing and expanding its global footprint–currently with regional offices in New York, NY, Jinan, China, Paris, France, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Singapore and Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (2020). As Vital expands its operations, so does its visibility, reputation for excellence and impact.
About the Department
The New Business Development team provides proposal development support, coordination, and technical assistance to raise new business from the U . S . Government, multilateral aid agencies, foundations, and corporations.
About the Role
Vital Strategies is seeking a Business Development Manager to raise new funds from and expand our growing partnership with the U.S. Government. This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in a team that has a growing portfolio of U.S. Government funded programs and raises million s of dollars annually from multiple donors.
As a member of the New Business Development unit, the Business Development Manager will report to the Business Development Director and work closely with colleagues in and across departments. The Business Development Manager will be responsible for the coordination , development , and technical assistance of proposals across Vital Strategies. This role will contribute to a critical revenue generation process at Vital and their success will directly impact the organization’s ability to create a world where every person is protected by a strong public health system.
Pipeline Development and Intelligence Gathering
- Develop a map of future pipeline opportunities and partnerships that might be open by donors that regularly issue calls for proposals. This includes primes and subs, global and local.
- Summarize proposal requirements from donors and funders and manage required templates
- Conduct competitor benchmarking and competitive analysis.
- Input into organizational business development opportunity tracker on opportunity and proposal statuses and develop reports as requested.
- Follow-up on those pipeline opportunities that are identified for pursuit and provide overall management of the proposal .
- Coordinate and prepare expressions of interest.
- Coordinate proposal team meetings , visioning/scoping workshops, and the work of technical departments, country offices and finance staff to develop proposals that respond to business opportunities.
- Manage the non-technical aspects of all proposals including but not limited to:
- Oversee the development of non-technical sections on proposals.
- Format CVs, bios, and past performance information for proposals.
- Ensure alignment between the technical and financial components of proposals.
- Liaise with partners and sub awardees to execute teaming agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc. and collect necessary proposal inputs.
- Partner with consultants supporting Vitals’ proposal development process.
- Facilitate Senior Management team review; and
- Ensure all supporting documents in the proposal package, including budgets and other financials meet high copy edit standards , are accurate, compliant with donor specifications and solicitation-specific guidelines, and submitted in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and at times carry out copy-editing, formatting, and final production of final proposal documents.
- Organize and maintain files for proposal document storage and access.
- Information sharing and relationship management with internal stakeholders for effortless functioning as well as collective learning .
- Manage a repository of boiler-plate content with input from technical and program staff on the organization, its capabilities, and its programs.
- Liaise with Program staff to provide guidance, support , and technical assistance on US Government business development .
- Ensure development and amendment of standard guidance documents/factsheets on donor requirements for Vital staff working on proposals, including both technical and cost proposals.
- Ensure learning and feedback into process for improvements
- Conduct other duties as needed.
Required competencies and qualifications:
- BA in a relevant field and at least 5-7 years of relevant experience or MPH/MA/MBA and at least 5 years of experience in proposal development .
- Proven track record in developing successful proposal for new grants and contracts with organizations including but not limited to USAID, DOS
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org