Org. Setting and Reporting
The position is located in the Improvised Explosive Device (IED) Threat Mitigation Advisory Team (TMAT) of the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) within the Department of Peace Operations (DPO). The Team Lead of the IED Threat Mitigation Advisory Team (TMAT) will report to the Deputy Director of UNMAS.
Within delegated authority, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties: (These duties are generic, and may not be performed by all Programme Officers.)
- Leads and manages the IED Threat Mitigation Advisory Team (TMAT) consisting of military and civilian staff across functional areas of IED Threat Mitigation, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) and Weapons and Ammunition Management (WAM).
- Develops, implements and evaluates projects of the IED TMAT, i.e. Smart IED Threat Mitigation Technology Roadmap and ordnance reference database; monitor and analyze project implementation; review and manage progress reports, identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiate corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; ensure follow-up actions.
- Advises UNMAS Director and other senior UN officials on emerging threats, technological and related developments.
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
- Coordinates UNMAS positions on IED related policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Liaises with Member States and other Mine Action stakeholders to support the objectives and work of UNMAS.
- Coordinates and monitors UNMAS support to EOD and IED Threat Mitigation for Troop Contributing Countries and the Office of Military Affairs.
- Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.
- Initiates, coordinates and conducts technical training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (project proposal preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) for TMAT and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, TMAT work programme, TMAT project budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the field of explosive hazard management and IED threat mitigation including producing policy papers, guidelines and training materials. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- COMMITTMENT TO CONTINUOUS LEARNING: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Management, International relations, Explosive Ordnance Engineering, International Security Studies or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. In addition to EOD certification, IEDD certification is also required. Graduation from a military staff academy or similar law enforcement institution is desirable.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management in the field of explosive ordnance disposal, ammunition management and explosive hazard management, including five years of experience in working with IED- related issues, policies and operations, with proven C-IED experience in a mission environment is required.
Recognized national qualification as EOD officer is required.
Experience writing policy papers or producing guidelines, standards and/or training materials related to IED threat mitigation is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; knowledge of French is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org