The Director of External Communications has lead responsibility for the development and implementation of the Women’s Refugee Commission’s communication strategy and management of its communication staff. The Director is a member of the organization’s senior management team and works closely with the senior team to ensure that the WRC’s communications efforts advance the program, advocacy and development goals and overall reputation of the organization. The position is based in New York and reports to the Executive Director.
- Lead strategic planning for the communications team and play a leading role as a senior staff member in the development of the WRC’s strategic plan and annual communications plan;
- Raise the visibility of the organization, the issues it addresses, and impact it has on the lives of displaced women, children and youth across traditional, digital and social media platforms;
- Identify strategic opportunities for media coverage of WRC key issues and serve as the main liaison;
- Serve as the organization’s principal liaison with the print, broadcast and online media Develop and maintain relationships with influential media and trade publications covering humanitarian and migration issues;
- Serve as primary liaison with Board Communications Committee;
- Manage the communication’s team’s engagement with the advocacy, program and development teams to maximize reach and impact. This includes message development, communications strategies, and marketing programs for promoting the WRC’s reports, recommendations and resources to target audiences;
- Guide the production of WRC publications, annual report, website content and newsletters; supervise and contribute to the organization’s engagement with social media;
- Manage hiring and supervision of consultants;
- Ensure WRC’s brand strategy and core messaging are consistently reflected in all communications with key audiences;
- Promote the development of marketing partnerships and joint campaigns to increase the organization’s awareness among target audiences;
- Supervise and contribute to the conceptualizing, design and production of external events to maximize their impact for the Women’s’ Refugee Commission and its mission.
- A senior communications professional with a proven track record across media platforms and in marketing, communications of at least 8-12 years;
- At least 5 years of experience managing a communications team and leading cross-team strategy and planning processes;
- Proven track record in raising the visibility and influence of an organization through effective communications strategies;
- Strategic thinking, vision and flawless execution;
- Superb oral and written communications skills for multiple audiences;
- Ability to quantify the impact of communications on overall organization effectiveness;
- Background in international humanitarian issues, women’s human rights or US migration issues is highly desired. A commitment to the mission and core values of the WRC is required;
- Experience working at a senior level in communications at a non-profit is desirable along with knowledge of international relations and public policy;
- Advanced degree in marketing or media.
To apply, please send a cover letter along with your resume and salary requirements.
The Women’s Commission is an equal opportunity employer; it considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. The Women’s Refugee Commission is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*