The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is looking for an energetic and committed team member to fill the position of Senior Program Assistant (SPA) on the Gender, Women and Democracy (GWD) team. The role of the SPA will be to ensure that NDI’s democratic assistance is fully gender informed. GWD is a small team with an important client-facing engagement with NDI’s regional teams, other thematic teams, and external stakeholders. All team members have to be prepared to work at pace and on a number of different projects and issues at the same time.
This post is a junior position within a small team and therefore will include working under close supervision in some areas, and working independently in others. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, interested in further developing their skills and expertise in gender, women and democracy.
- Develop GWD communications strategies and manage the team’s communications outreach;
- Contribute to the gender mainstreaming of all NDI programs;
- Liaise with regional teams in DC and country offices on the design and implementation of programs;
- Conduct research for and create new materials to support NDI programs;
- Coordinate special projects as requested, including one of GWD’s thought leadership portfolios;
- Serve as an in-house resource person on gender mainstreaming NDI’s programs;
- Work with two NDI regional teams to conceptualize and design women’s legislative, civic, and political party programs, facilitating the sharing of program strategies across regional teams;
- Facilitate GWD’s Communications by supporting the development and monitoring of team communications and, in liaison with the Government Relations and Communications team, provide GWD input to NDI communications and outreach, NDI web-page and external websites;
- Contribute to the development of gender equality and women’s empowerment program concepts and take part in strategic discussions;
- Lead and/or co-ordinate GWD programs as assigned by the Director;
- Conduct research on a broad range of themes related to gender, women and democratic governance;
- Maintain collaborative relationships with international democratic development organizations, civic organizations and NDI's network of volunteer trainers and experts;
- Draft presentations, proposals, work plans, quarterly and other reports with minimal guidance; and
- In conjunction with more senior staff members, provide training and offer advice and guidance on gender, women and democratic governance to NDI staff.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in gender studies, political science, public policy or international relations. A degree not in gender studies should have a significant gender component; Master's degree preferred;
- Demonstrated coursework and/or internships in gender/women’s rights, international development, political party development, community organizing, political campaigns, organizational development, legislative affairs, or equivalent experience at NDI;
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or competency in inclusion and intersectionality as a theoretical and methodological approach to inequality;
- Experience with communications management, especially developing and managing content for social media outlets (including twitter), websites and print media outlets;
- Experience in program or project cycle management;
- Experience living/working/traveling outside the US preferred;
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including social media expertise;
- Strong attention to detail; and
- Language skills, particularly Spanish, a plus.
For this position a minimum of two (2) years of professional work experience is required. The position is based in Washington, D.C. and requires occasional international travel.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*