The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is seeking an Intern/Project Assistant to work in Washington, D.C. for the Southern and East Africa (SEA) team’s programs. The Intern/Project Assistant will be responsible for conducting country and program-specific research, attending meetings and seminars on Southern and East African affairs, and providing administrative support for country programs. This position is available beginning in early April 2018 for a term appointment lasting three months with the possibility of extension for an additional three months based on performance.
- Assist in providing administrative support to assigned country projects, such as coordinating travel for staff/delegations, reviewing financial expenditures, processing payment requests, filing/copying/shipping documents, and other assigned tasks related to backstopping field office activities
- Produce daily news updates for distribution to the SEA team by reviewing foreign and domestic newspapers, magazines, or journal articles pertaining to the Southern and East Africa region
- Assist in the preparation and drafting of periodical reports
- Research and gather materials for country specific programs
- Attend meetings and seminars on Southern and East African affairs and prepare oral and written presentations to SEA team members
- Conduct special projects as needed
- Generally pursuing an undergraduate program, relevant degree programs might include, but are not limited to, political science, international relations, international development, and African studies
- Knowledge of and interest in Southern Africa
- Strong attention to detail and skilled in prioritizing and managing multiple tasks
- Must have excellent oral and written proficiency in English
- Swahili/Portuguese/French language skills useful, but not required
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired
- Availability to work 40 hours/week for at least three months
This is a paid internship.
Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
All applicants must have the right to work in the U.S without employer sponsorship.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org