The United States Institute of Peace (USIP) is America’s nonpartisan institute to promote national security and global stability by reducing violent conflicts abroad. Our staff guide peace talks
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace around the world. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing and mitigating violent conflict.
We were chartered in 1984 as an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts around the world. Together we tackle the toughest problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world.
Provides original articles and edits and solicits new articles from experts for The Islamists website. Also contributes articles to The Iran Primer website and edits both websites in coordination with the Senior Program Specialist. Conducts research on Islamist movements, Iran and the Middle East. Maintains program database and manages social media accounts. Plans and executes events on both Islamists and Iran. Supports budget and contract management activities. Provides day-to-day administrative support for the program.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Program and Administrative Support:
- Manage and load content on two Middle East websites: www.iranprimer.com and www.theislamistsarecoming.com.
- Generate content for both websites, including drafting original pieces for publication. Be innovative in updating web design.
- Solicit contributions, conduct interviews and edit content for both websites.
- Conduct research on relevant topics for both sites.
- Monitor current events closely in Iran and the Arab World.
- Significant research and program assistance for senior fellow.
- Write newsletters for The Iran Primer and monthly newsletters for the Islamists.
- Publicize the websites, work with other publications to reprint articles from both sites, and increase their reach to new audiences.
- Track and analyze website and social media analytics and develop strategies to increase traffic.
- Complete special assignments as needed.
Procurement, Finance, Budget and Travel Support:
- Maintain contract management and execution processes (e.g., requisitions, invoice and expense processing, and payment monitoring).
- Generate routine budget and financial reports to help monitor program budget.
- Help reconcile the budget of program by inputting transactions correctly, obligating funds, processing travel vouchers and reimbursements, and tracking the budget using financial software.
- Provide contract management support activities, including drafting the initial contract proposal language, completing the USIP contract template, processing invoices, and monitoring payment of contractor services.
- Complete administrative travel processes for domestic and international travel (e.g., travel authorizations, advances, cash request, vouchers and reimbursements).
- Coordinate all logistical arrangements for program events, including reserving rooms, developing invitations, monitoring RSVPs, ordering food and supplies, arranging room set-up, and serving as the main point-of-contact for attendees.
- Develop promotional and informative descriptions of events for internal USIP staff members and external guests.
- Coordinate domestic and international travel and overnight accommodations for event participants.
Performs Other Duties as Assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations required. A major in Middle East studies preferred
- One (1) or more years related business or administrative experience to become familiar with general personnel practices, accounting and budgeting principles and coordination of major office activities required.
- Experience organizing conferences and meetings, making domestic and international travel arrangements preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of the Middle East required, with demonstrated enthusiasm for subject matter. Knowledge of the full cast of characters in the region.
- Excellent writing and editing skills are required. Experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Arabic is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; excellent organizational skills; flexibility; strong detail orientation.
- Familiarity with standard office software, Lexis-Nexis, and online content management programs required; knowledge of HTML preferred. Work with fellow on Cloud transfers.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org