In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women's empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Global Communications unit is seeking a Communications Associate in our San Francisco, CA office.
Reporting to the Director of Media & Strategy, the Communications Associate helps drive the Foundation’s external voice and reputation as a key creator of the Foundation’s most visible external products: its social media platforms, blog, and website. The Communications Associate will be a key content creator, social media manager, and editor within the Global Communications team and will play a critical role in raising the Foundation’s global profile through external communications/marketing content creation and outreach. The associate will thrive as part of a fully integrated team that sees communications as a multi-disciplinary practice to enhance and protect the Foundation’s reputation and critical work on the ground. The associate will primarily 1) produce compelling content, including social media, blog posts, multimedia, website copy, news releases, and other materials; and 2) execute real-time social media activities and media relations aimed at engaging donors, policymakers, media, NGO, and government communities. The associate will have a strong sense of judgement, diplomacy, and ability to navigate institutional and editorial sensitivities.
The Communications Associate is the “content hub” of the integrated communications team and is a skilled writer and editor; savvy in digital and social media channels; and will thrive in a lively, multicultural environment working with colleagues in 18 country offices across Asia. S/he will work closely and collaboratively within the unit and with colleagues in San Francisco, Washington, DC, and Asia country offices to produce exceptional external content and materials. The associate will help manage production of and assist in curating thought leadership pieces for InAsia, the Foundation’s highly regarded bi-weekly international development and foreign policy blog. The associate will assist in evaluating the effectiveness of communications programs and tracking media with an eye toward reputation management and opportunities for appropriate visibility.
This is an opportunity to join an experienced, diverse team of communications professionals working on critical issues facing Asia. Responsibilities generally cover the following areas: content creation (40% of time); outreach (40%); reporting (10%), and website and design support (10%).
Content Creation (40%)
Produce compelling content for the Foundation’s public platforms and major campaigns, including social media, news releases, blogpost, and website
Edit and write Foundation news releases, media highlights, and collaborate with colleagues in offices across Asia on edits and approvals
Develop editorial content calendars and manage communications materials for consistency and adherence to editorial standards Outreach: Social Media and Media Relations (40%)
Plan and execute social media channels in real-time and serve as primary point of contact for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
Engage with international and U.S. media contacts, including researching and tracking relevant reporters, maintaining targeted media lists, preparing media materials, and assisting with outreach, including through Twitter Reporting (10%)
Monitor, evaluate, and manage media and social media analytics and reporting using a wide variety of tracking tools including Meltwater and Hootsuite
Compile, analyze, and summarize Foundation coverage for internal daily updates, weekly roundups, and quarterly reports Website and Multimedia (10%)
Serve as backup website point person using WordPress
Support the production of high-quality film content
Initiate and develop new and creative design and digital content to increase sharing and engagement across all channels
Why work at The Asia Foundation?
At a critical moment in history, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the development, stability, and growth of the Asia region. You will help promote a more constructive engagement between government and citizens and advance learning and awareness about The Asia Foundation. You will work with and learn from dedicated, smart, and accomplished colleagues and local partners, and, in the process, improve your skills and expertise.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 3-5 years of experience in communications, public relations, media relations, journalism, publishing, or marketing
• Advanced editing and writing skills in a variety of platforms, including social media content, news releases, and website content
• Experience working in communications and content creation in a multi-disciplinary practice; ability and enthusiasm to adopt new tools and trends
• Proven experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn), including metrics and tracking
• Familiar with media trends possessing good media research and analytical skills, including experience in monitoring and measuring news coverage and generating coverage reports.
• Experience working in international affairs or international development is highly desirable
• Comfortable using MS Outlook and relevant communications tools and software
• Highly articulate with exceptionally strong written, editorial, and verbal skills
• Ability to communicate academic and technical language for a broader audience and can navigate complex concepts, language barriers, and sensitivities
• High energy and ability to manage multiple projects/events with high level priorities simultaneously under tight deadline constraints
• Positive attitude and can work independently and collaborate closely with team and colleagues
• Interest in developing improvements in creative communications and workflow processes
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org