When Weber Shandwick was formed we set out a mission that, by design, has no end date. We committed to be "engaging always." We knew then, and more so now, that being open, aspirational and entrepreneurial is what it takes to engage people and deliver business impact in a rapidly changing environment.
Our journey to date might surprise you. From a powerful PR base, we’ve built-in one of the world’s largest, global social agencies. Then we added Mediaco, a pioneering, award-winning content consulting and publishing operation. And today, we continue to lead digital and advertising assignments for some of the world's most enduring companies and social causes.
Along the way, we’ve been validated repeatedly by Ad Age’s “A List,” creative leadership at Cannes Lions and global frontrunner status in the PR category. Yet despite our industry-leading status among marketing services agencies, we're still just getting started. We strive to bring our collective intelligence, open architecture model and continuous learning to our work, not to mention agility required to deliver it.
We’re strategists, builders, analysts, producers, designers, creatives, technologists. And we unite around big ideas.
So “engaging always.” is really about innovative change. And that's what we continue do every day, adding new dimensions and diverse talent to our mix across our network of more than 81 countries around the world.
About the Corporate Issues, Crisis & Issues Management Practice
Many communications professionals spend careers trying to make the front pages or trend on Twitter. Our job is to help shape the narrative before it spins out of control, rein in the story and reposition our clients and their issues, and ensure they are prepared to communicate effectively in any situation.
Weber Shandwick’s Crisis & Issues Management Practice helps leading organizations both manage breaking negative issues and events affecting reputation and develop the internal culture and infrastructure needed to anticipate, prepare and navigate them effectively.. From election-related conspiracy theories, environmental protests and multinational bankruptcies to executive controversies and sweeping product recalls to high-profile litigation and fake news, we live at the front lines of media, culture and conversation.
Whether it is a program affecting internal stakeholders or an external effort to protect or defend an organization’s reputation, we work hand-in-hand with colleagues from around the country and globe on a daily basis, providing crisis counsel to clients across industries and sectors, making deep curiosity a requisite for this position.
What We Are Seeking
As an Associate/Senior Associate, you will have the unique opportunity to help drive communications around these challenging and exciting projects. You will be a day-to-day leader among the team’s junior staff, interfacing directly with senior leadership to help drive research, develop materials, staff projects, scope work, manage vendors, track budget and balance multiple shifting priorities in real time.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent writing skills and the ability to perform in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment. You will be intimately familiar with current events and news trends and be able to translate that knowledge into actionable insights for clients. This extends to social and digital communications: you must possess true analytical fluency in this area.
A strong academic record is a must, and experience in issues management is a bonus – but candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
What You Will Be Doing
• Lead small teams to conduct pressing research on a wide range of issues, review and prepare executive summaries and/or analyses detailing clear and concise findings, distill highly complex and large amounts of information into strategic and actionable recommendations
• Draft and review media materials based on outline or direction developed with supervisors
• Support new business initiatives through the development of pitch materials and background research
• Actively participate in and contribute to discussions surrounding clients’ strategies
• Balance workload between accounts and account staff to ensure that all work is accurate and completed within tight deadlines
• Manage projects in an organized and efficient manner and keep track of all project items and deliverables, managing junior and senior employees’ deadlines to ensure all materials are delivered client-ready and on time
• Prepare strong initial drafts of client-facing materials and interface directly with clients as appropriate
• Prepare media and social coverage reports and executive summaries that prioritize what the client needs to know
• Conduct hands-on media outreach from time to time
• Oversee development and maintenance of media contact lists and databases
• Carefully proof and edit internal and external documents
What We Are Looking For
• Crisis communications, issues management, and/or public affairs experience
• Strong understanding of social analytics
• Full analytical fluency in all social/digital platforms
• Ability to provide strategic and actionable recommendations based on research
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills
• Basic familiarity with corporate financials
• Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and manage to deadlines in a consistent manner
• Exceptional judgment and professionalism
• Ability to meet urgent deadlines consistently and precisely
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Resourceful, effective problem solver
• Comfortable asking for assistance from and providing direction to team members
• Ability to take ownership, manage and see projects through from start to finish
• Proactive self-starter and quick learner
• Strong work ethic
• Sharp curiosity and an analytical mind
• 1-4 years professional experience: in an agency/strategic consulting firm, political campaign or organization, law or similar setting
• BA or BS, preferably in Political Science, history, journalism, International Relations or similar fields
• Knowledge of basic PR skills and client service
• Fluent in Microsoft Suite (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and proficiency in research, media and social monitoring platforms (e.g., Brandwatch, Sysomos, Cision, Critical Mention, Lexis-Nexis)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org