The Business and Human Rights Division of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking an Associate to provide administrative support to the team. The Business and Human Rights Division works to advance businesses’ respect for human rights globally as well as address human rights abuses associated with the internet, artificial intelligence, corruption, and poverty. The division conducts a wide range of work, including investigation, report writing, advocacy, and media work. This Associate position will be based in the Washington, DC office and reports to the Director of the Business and Human Rights Division, based in Washington, DC. The anticipated start date for this position is August 2018. This position is principally administrative.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to Business and Human Rights Division staff, such as scheduling, making travel arrangements, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, creating and maintaining extensive filing and archiving systems, and responding to requests for information;
- Record, track, and process divisional finances in a timely manner;
- Coordinate and support advocacy efforts, including scheduling official meetings, managing subscriptions, and building and maintaining contact databases, as well as routinely sending relevant HRW research to appropriate individuals and organizations;
- Maintain communication between HRW offices, global staff, and external partners;
- Assist with preparing, editing, formatting, distributing, and, in some cases, drafting materials such as news releases, reports, talking points, tables, charts, briefing papers, and/or op-eds, and coordinate translations;
- Assist with events such as news conferences, staff meetings, and special events;
- Assist with the recruitment, coordination and mentoring of interns;
- Support research and investigation work of the division, including conducting desk research and assisting in outreach to government, intergovernmental organizations, and companies; and
- Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related field is desirable.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required. Previous work, internship, or volunteer experience in business and human rights or related fields is desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Prior office/administration experience and exceptional organizational skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required; proficiency in French and/or Spanish is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions and complete tasks in a timely manner is required.
- Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally is required.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
- Interest in international human rights is required.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at US$46,279. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, a retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org