BRAC is a global leader in developing and implementing cost-effective, evidence-based programs to assist the most marginalized people in extremely poor, conflict-prone, and post-disaster settings. These include initiatives in education, healthcare, microfinance, women and girls’ empowerment, agriculture, human and legal rights, and more. Headquartered in Bangladesh and working across 11 countries in South Asia and Africa, BRAC touches the lives of more than 100 million people worldwide.
Based in New York, BRAC USA is the North American affiliate of BRAC. BRAC USA provides comprehensive support to BRAC around the world by raising awareness about its work and mobilizing resources to support programs. BRAC USA works closely with international counterparts to design and implement cost-effective and evidence-based poverty innovations. It is an independent 501(c)(3) organization.
About the Position
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Manager, Human Resources, will be a vitally important member of the BRAC USA team. This position holder will be tasked with supporting and developing BRAC USA’s most important resource – its people. The Manager will help to create a culture that enables BRAC USA to attract, develop, and retain the best people, while fostering a collaborative, trusting, open, and energetic work environment.
In this newly created role, the Manager, Human Resources, will join BRAC USA at a critical moment in its growth trajectory. Having doubled in size in the past three years to 35 positions, BRAC USA anticipates continued expansion and increasing complexity as it works across the global BRAC organization. The Manager, Human Resources, will ensure that BRAC USA’s compensation and benefits remain competitive and that it provides an environment for professional development and career growth for its team.
The Manager, Human Resources, will have proven ability to serve in a multi-dimensional human resources role, with keen insight into the systems and structures needed to support the engagement of staff and the achievement of organizational goals. The ideal candidate will have excellent communications skills and the ability to develop trusted relationships with individuals at all levels at BRAC USA.
- Working closely with senior management, foster an effective, diverse and inclusive working environment that attracts and supports a highly talented team, working in a demanding cross-cultural global organization.
- Serve as a visible and effective point person for BRAC USA staff, participate in the active management of the office, model BRAC USA values, and contribute to a strong esprit de corps.
- Together with hiring manager, manage overall recruitment process, including job posting, interviewing, reference checking, and offer letters.
- Implement an effective program for employee orientation / on boarding, including a “buddy system” for new hires.
- Oversee overall employee relations, including managing concerns and complaints and helping to develop effective solutions.
- Coordinate the annual staff survey process and develop proactive plans to address issues.
- Organize regular manager-level and associate-level meetings with CEO, offering an avenue for staff to share concerns, issues, and challenges directly with senior leadership.
- Organize staff events to build unity, camaraderie, and organizational effectiveness, to include an annual retreat and semi-annual staff-in weeks, as well as teambuilding activities (in and out of the office), social events, a Lunch & Learn program, and special visitors.
- Ensure adequate support is available for staff members, as needed, appropriate, through Employee Assistance Program, and potentially other opportunities.
Performance Management and Professional Development:
- Execute and optimize all components of BRAC USA’s performance management program, including overseeing the annual and midyear review process, and coordinating 360-degree feedback.
- Counsel staff on annual and longer-term goal setting and performance planning. Help to develop customized career advancement plans that will enable team members to achieve their career aspirations over time.
- Lead the in-house Professional Development Committee, organize calendar of speakers, create catalog of recommended development opportunities, and advise staff on possibilities.
- Plan, organize, and execute a training series for managers to build core capacity for supervisory staff.
- Help to ensure that BRAC USA is a place where staff can continually grow as professionals, no matter their role or level of experience.
Human Resources Administration:
- Strengthen and enforce clear, right-sized policies and procedures related to all aspects of human resources; keep abreast of changes in federal, state and local labor laws; propose new policies and procedures as necessary; maintain employee manual(s).
- Together with the CEO and leadership team, oversee compensation and benefits planning, ensuring competitive salaries and benefits. Ensure that compensation program allows for salary growth opportunities commensurate with experience and performance.
- Maintain personnel files for all current and former employees; update job descriptions as necessary; maintain organizational chart(s).
- Conduct exit interviews with any departing staff members to gather feedback that may be relevant to ongoing operations.
- Manage requests for references for former employees.
- Ensure administrative compliance on personnel-related issues related to grants and contracts from donors, especially the US Government.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of six years of relevant, progressive experience in human resources and talent development, preferably working with diverse teams and team members in a non-profit setting.
- SHRM or HRCI certification strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to build connections and work with a variety of stakeholders.
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of BRAC USA.
- Experience with US Government contract compliance as it relates to human resources functions preferred.
- Ability to travel periodically to Washington DC as BRAC USA presence there builds. Ability to undertake international travel on occasion, most likely to Bangladesh and/or the Netherlands.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org