GKI is a new type of non-profit organization focused on maximizing what’s available to solve pressing global development problems like food insecurity, environmental degradation, and energy insufficiency. As a global community, we are poised to take on these complex issues. But to do so we need to confront what’s prevented so many previous well-intentioned efforts from succeeding at scale.
GKI believes it is not a failure of intellect, nor a lack of resources, that keeps us from solving complex, global development challenges. Rather, the failure lies in how we connect committed individuals and their resources—technologies, expertise, financing—to fill these gaps. GKI believes we need better methods for connecting the resources we have – experts, technology, knowledge – to the people and places that need them most. Collaborative Innovation is all about bridging those gaps and helping people connect so that they can do more with less: more problem solving, more knowledge sharing, more life changing.
The candidate we seek is a passionate and enthusiastic emerging leader who is keen to support international development through the application of science, technology, and innovation. Our Jr. Program Officers are strategic thinkers who thrive in a diverse range of settings. As comfortable performing political economy analysis as standing before a room of technical experts offering a training, Jr. Program Officers easily switch from macro to micro thinking, and remaining focused, energetic, and empathetic in any scenario.
Responsibilities for the position include:
Program Administration and Management
- Support the GKI Team in managing a large and varied portfolio of projects.
- Support the growth of GKI’s scope and impact in terms of the number, effectiveness, and influence of innovation programs and problem-solving networks active globally,
- Perform research, analysis, and support functions for projects organized around major development challenges like post-harvest food loss, global health, and climate change.
- Identify potential partners and sponsors, and support relationship cultivation efforts globally, particularly with research institutions, bilateral and multilateral aid agencies and foundations.
Research and analysis
- Perform rigorous analysis of the innovation assets and capacities of countries, institutions, and individuals.
- Perform rigorous research and analysis to support projects across all 5 GKI Programmatic Areas.
- Demonstrate above-average ability to identify and follow through on new ideas using various research methods.
Presentation and facilitation
- Design and deliver creative and compelling presentations, workshop sessions, and/or training modules for high-level decision-makers from policymakers to university researchers.
- Support facilitation of intensive working sessions to enable groups to make decisions and/or achieve measurable progress toward their goals.
- You are a superb communicator with great instincts about how to synthesize and tell a captivating story, build a deep rapport, and give honest feedback.
- You possess exceptional analytic, writing, and editing skills, demonstrated through a publications/presentations/web postings/videos/or other media.
- You have applied your analytic and problem-solving skills to real-world challenges. You are grounded in insights about challenges that communities face and have worked or studied internationally to acquire/demonstrate these insights. Prior experience in a nonprofit, university, research institute, or social enterprise a plus.
- You are familiar with the principles of human centered design and collaborative innovation.
- You are used to working across industries and disciplines and comfortable supporting and leading multidisciplinary teams.
- You have 2-3 years of international experience (before, during, or after graduate school) and a Master’s degree in any of the following: international relations, public policy, design, engineering, or another innovation-related discipline.
- You thrive in an extremely fast-paced, collaborative, and open work environment.
To submit your resume, cover letter and references for consideration, please contact Manmeet Mehta, Senior Program Officer, GKI, no later than May 19, 2017.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*