Org. Setting and Reporting
UNECE Environment Division contributes to the overall objectives and mandate of UNECE as a multilateral platform facilitating greater economic integration and cooperation among its member States, and to the broad aim of the Environment subprogramme to safeguard the environment and human health, and to promote sustainable development in line with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development by supporting the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The post is located in the Environment Division of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe. Under the overall supervision of the Chief, Transboundary Cooperation Section, the incumbent reports to the secretary to the Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses/co-secretary to the Protocol on Water and Health (manager of the Water Unit).
The Environmental Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Prepares agendas, reports, discussion papers, working documents and Chair's briefs for meetings of the working group, task forces and other Protocol's bodies, conferences and seminars, service these meetings and assists the elected officers in the conduct of the meetings;
- Coordinates and supervises implementation of decisions taken, maintains the necessary contacts with the lead countries of activities in the Protocol's programme of work and works closely with the staff of the joint secretariat in the Regional Office for Europe of the World Health Organization, and with the Protocol's focal points;
- Identifies and coordinates possible interaction between activities under the Protocol with programmes of the UNECE Environment Division, other UNECE divisions, UN system organizations - in particular WHO - UN sector Water, other relevant international governmental and non-governmental organizations and relevant private organizations; exchanges information with these organizations and their experts;
- Draws up substantive technical papers linked to integrated water resources management and water and health issues;
- Assesses and reviews national policies and strategies, drafts technical and policy documents and elaborates recommendations for future action;
- Assists in the initiation and implementation of other programme activities that arise from the implementation of the Protocol, with particular emphasis on countries in transition;
- Assists in the design and management of field projects under the Protocol with a special focus on countries in transition, related to capacity-building and sharing of experience, integrated water resources management, water and health issues, and integration of policies, and participates in country missions;
- Updates the Protocol's website, drafts publications, press releases, public relations bulletins and other media work to increase awareness and publicize the Protocol;
- Assists in preparing budget proposals and resources requirement, arranges for the appropriate use of funds, actively participates in fund raising activities, reports on the use of the funds;
- Represents the UNECE secretariat at international meetings in her/his field of competence;
- Provides support and inputs on behalf of the Protocol's secretariat to the team, the Division, the Executive Office and other parts of the Organization on substantive, administrative and cross-cutting issues.
- Knowledge in the field of environment and water, exposure to health-related issues;
- Demonstrates competence and mastery with multilateral environmental agreements;
- Ability to work across sectors and to support multi sectoral and multistakeholders processes;
- Ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations;
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others;
- Places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Uses time efficiently.
Advanced University degree in environmental management, science, economics, law, social sciences, public health, environmental health, engineering or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience at the national and/or international level related to water, environmental or public health issues is required. Experience in international organizations or with multilateral environmental agreements is desirable. Experience in countries with economies in transition is also desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English and knowledge of Russian are required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org