The IOM Office to the United Nations (UN) in New York (IOM UN Office) is tasked with maintaining and strengthening IOM's relations with the United Nations, diplomatic Missions and non-governmental organizations, including through contributing to improving understanding of migration issues, facilitating international policy dialogues on migration and representing IOM and migration issues in conferences, meetings and seminars. IOM UN Office work towards contributing to improving understanding of IOM's mandate and action by relevant governmental, UN and Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) stakeholders, in accordance with the Constitution and relevant Council deliberations and resolutions. IOM UN Office coordinates with the Office of the Director General, Department of International Cooperation and Partnerships (ICP), the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) and the Department of Migration Management (DMM) and keeps them apprised of relevant developments.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of the IOM UN Office and the direct supervision of the Senior Liaison and Policy Officer (Humanitarian Affairs) and in close coordination with relevant Divisions of IOM HQ Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) -- the successful candidate will contribute to the Office's engagement with and inputs to UN system discussions on emergency response and crisis management programmes and funding issues and will support IOM's overall activities on the same.
While other tasks can be delegated or assigned, the successful candidate will act as IOM UN Page
Office Desk Officer for Africa and the Middle East.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Monitor the agenda of the principal organs of the United Nations, with a specific mandate on Humanitarian issues, including the activities of the Security Council, the General Assembly, the UN Secretariat and specifically identified UN agencies, funds and programmes, and the relationship of these activities to the activities of IOM, and advise on necessary follow-up actions.
2. Identify and develop liaison strategies and outreach activities related to IOM crisis management operations, including humanitarian response and crisis transition priorities.
3. Represent IOM in various inter-agency mechanisms and task forces at UN Headquarters (HQ) and in UN meetings of interest and provide information such as written summaries, briefing statements, and talking points.
4. Assist with the planning, development and execution of other events for IOM UN Office, including by liaising with other UN entities, NGOs, or intergovernmental partners. Prepare programmes, identify topics and speakers, prepare background papers and concept notes, draft recommendations/outcomes, and final reports. Support logistically and administratively the convening of such events.
5. Support the organizing and/or conduct of briefings for visiting delegations, IOM colleagues, interest groups and other participants on behalf of IOM, and cooperate with other stakeholders as necessary.
6. Monitor developments of UN New York led humanitarian funding instruments and mechanisms, including trends, such as better operationalizing Humanitarian and Development Nexus (HDN), and strategic priorities. Provide technical assistance, training and capacity building on specific compliance procedures to Country Offices and Regional Offices.
7. Act as focal point with regards to the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) funding for the areas covered. Provide tailored guidance to IOM HQ, regional offices and country offices regarding programmatic and administrative guidelines, staff training, review and submission of funding proposals, information and review of reporting requirements, advice to field missions, stock taking and follow up.
8. Keep track of projects and programmes submitted by/via IOM UN Office to monitor funding history and success/challenges.
9. Undertake duty travel and provide training related to project development, monitoring of implementation, in support of resource mobilization related to New York funding opportunities as well as liaison with New York donor counterparts.
10. Be responsible for the organization and dissemination of the Humanitarian, Peace and Security unit’s external information material, for maintaining the Unit’s website page up to date and for coordinating the consolidation and dissemination of weekly and thematic reports to other IOM offices.
11. Collect and systematically organize, analyze and disseminate information on United Nations reports and resolutions on humanitarian issues. Identify, coordinate and prepare IOM's inputs to related reports and resolutions, where possible, in coordination with relevant divisions of Department of Operations and Emergencies (DoE).
12. Support regional and country offices with timely and accurate information and updates on all
relevant New York (NY) based debates. Ensure monitoring and follow-up to on-going initiatives.
13. In coordination with DoE, develop and maintain an open-file on major operations relevant to the geographical areas of concern – including data and information on IOM, and non-IOM, response, relevant data, political analysis, key messages and other background material.
14. Perform such other duties and travels as may be assigned by the direct supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• International experience working in a multilateral system, preferably UN context, along with familiarity with the UN system, its agencies, funds and programmes;
• Familiarity with resource mobilization, donors’ relation – in particular the Central Emergency Response Find (CERF);
• Knowledge and understanding of the current migration and humanitarian debates in the UN and its impacts on the Organization;
• Knowledge of IOM project/programme activities in the humanitarian and crisis management sphere;
• Knowledge on political as well as social environment and migratory trends in the areas of relevance to this position. Experience on whole/aspects of Project Development/Management cycle;
• Experience in organizing seminars/events in collaboration with UN and/or NGO partners;
• Experience with strategic planning and demonstrated expertise in delivering presentations.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Portuguese and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential. • Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org