The Deputy Director for Government Relations (DDGR) works closely with the Senior Director of U.S. Advocacy to support the development of CARE's U.S. policy agenda and manage the implementation. The DDGR manages a team responsible for setting policy goals and delivering CARE's position on key priorities to the US Congress and the Administration, and with peer organizations and coalitions in Washington. S/he serves on the Advocacy Department's senior leadership team (SLT) where s/he helps support and manage the implementation of PAD's strategic and annual operating plans.
- Manages the work of the Government Relations (GR) staff to develop policy positions and implement related USG advocacy plans. Sets the overall direction of the GR team, raising the visibility of CARE's policy positions, and influencing US international development, relief and other related policies and programs. Directs day-to-day staff and intern operations.
- Coordinates closely with the SD for US Advocacy, SD for Global Advocacy, Director of Citizen Advocacy and Deputy Director of Learning Tours to ensure alignment and collaboration among teams and effective 360-degree approach to US advocacy, in support of global advocacy goals. Works closely with them to develop a Congressional target list and conduct effective outreach to achieve advocacy goals.
- Engages SD of US Advocacy and other CARE senior leadership as appropriate in efforts to achieve policy goals with Congress and the Administration. The DDGR also serves as a representative of CARE in Washington, with external audiences, including Congress and the Administration, the NGO community, other key players and the media, and in managing and strenthening these critical relationships.
- Works in collaboration with the SD for US Advocacy and the communications team on the preparation of public information strategies and communication products that serve to inform the USG, the public, donors and peer organizations of CARE's policy positions.
- Manages the GR budget and actively supports the SD for of Policy, Planning and Resource Development in securing funds to support advocacy efforts
- Manage Government Relations Team
- Serve as a member of the Advocacy SLT
- Manage US policy agenda.
- Lead advocacy on one of CARE's USG policy priorities
- Other duties as assigned
- Masters' degree in international relations, public policy or a related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- 6+ years government relations and/or Congressional experience
- 2-3 years hands-on management and budgeting experience
- Demonstrated skill in policy advocacy/legislative work with Congress and Administration
- Experience in the design and implementation of policy advocacy strategies
- Leadership of cross-divisional teams and deep commitment to collaborative, matrixed approaches
- Knowledge and solid understanding of international development and relief issues
- Solid knowledge and understanding of issues surrounding international and foreign assistance policies and programs
- Thorough understanding of legislative/executive branch processes, including budget and appropriaitions
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Proven skill in management of staff and budgets
- Planning, organizing and managing complex organizational initiatives
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Willingness to travel to the field as part of CARE's Learning Tour program
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org