What you will do on a day-to-day basis will vary depending on what projects and proposals we are working on at the time. You will be working on a whole breadth of projects for organisations such as the European Commission, European Parliament and other European Institutions, and help us generate new business in areas of interest. Working in or managing multiple project teams you are likely to be:
- Actively contributing to the design of client projects, taking into account client needs and commercial viability;
- Managing day-to-day project implementation for projects, ensuring client needs are met, monitoring progress, delegating appropriately and ensuring a fair balance of resources;
- Managing project teams with a view to achieving established project goals for evaluations, impact assessments and other research projects;
- Managing client and stakeholder relationships. Act as external day-to-day contact;
- Managing the delivery and submission of proposals for evaluations, impact assessments and other research projects;
- Maintaining commercial awareness by understanding cost implications of decisions and action; undertake budget discussions with subcontractors under direction;
- Supervising junior staff and quality assuring their work, by providing constructive feedback and creating on-the project learning opportunities;
- Carrying out such other duties as may reasonably be required, commensurate with the grade and post and the acknowledged skills of the Senior Consultant.
Every day will be different and we hope to expose you to a wide variety of clients and projects.
Some examples of recent projects include:
- “The future relationship between the UK and the EU following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU in the field of international protection” for the European Parliament;
- “Digitalising inland waterway transport: Identification of potential digital and legal-digital synergies in use in other transport modes, such as road, rail, maritime or air transport, for re-use in the inland waterway transport sector” for DG MOVE;
- A “study on algorithmic awareness building” for DG CNECT;
- The “Evaluation of the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA)” for DG HOME;
- “Health System Performance Assessment – Integrated Care Assessment” for Chafea;
- “EU and Member State policies on suspects of terrorism-related crimes” for the European Parliament;
- A “study on communication channels used by west African migrants to obtain information in countries of origin and transit, with particular focus on online and social media” for DG HOME;
- An “assessment of the impacts of using digital tools in the context of cross-border company operations” for DG JUST.
Here are the skills and experiences we need – are you a good fit with us?:
- Strong interest in EU Public Policy and the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others;
- Proven success of managing research or consultancy projects and successful proposals (evaluations, impact assessments and other research projects) in an organisation that works closely with the European Institutions;
- Academically well-qualified, ideally in a relevant field (i.e. law, social research, economics, humanities, politics, research methods etc.);
- In-depth practical and theoretical knowledge of different primary/secondary research methodologies & techniques;
- Ability to manage varied workload to achieve agreed deadlines without compromising quality or standards;
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with an ability to propose imaginative and practical solutions; an inquisitive mind and an aptitude to constructively challenge assumptions;
- Ability to work independently to high standards of consistency and accuracy coupled with the confidence to know the boundaries of own knowledge and to ask for help when needed;
- Self-motivated team player; committed and results-orientated with a desire to achieve goals and targets; ability to demonstrate a can-do attitude;
- Sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Competency in Microsoft Office - main applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- In-depth knowledge of the European Commission’s Better Regulation Guidelines and understanding how these are applied;
- Ability to present and communicate complex ideas clearly and to engage in constructive discussions, with audiences of different backgrounds and sizes;
- Ability to work within multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary teams spread across different countries and time zones;
- Additional European languages highly desirable.
Please send your CV and cover letter, which should explicitly state why you are interested in this post and Optimity Advisors, through by 9am (CET), 4th February 2019. Please put ‘Application for Research Manager’ in the subject line. No recruitment consultants please.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org