Otra Cosa Network (OCN) is a Peruvian non-profit NGO and UK Registered Charity (No.1133680) based in Northern Peru. Our mission is to promote social development and education in our local communities. We aim to offer support, education and greater opportunities for the children and adults in the local communities we serve, as well as life-changing experiences for our volunteers.
About the Role
OCN needs a new Manager for Fundraising & Projects to help run the organisation’s operations in Peru, under direction from the UK-based Directors, working alongside our Manager for Marketing and Communications. The position is for a two year period after which the position shall be reviewed, depending upon success in the role. We are in search of an enthusiastic individual who is passionate about fundraising, community development and international volunteering. The new Manager needs to take on a wide range of responsibilities and work with the small local team in line with the organisation’s values, strategic goals and approach to community development.
As Manager for Fundraising & Projects, you would be responsible for securing new grants, leading our community fundraising efforts, managing and supervising our projects and helping to recruit and support the volunteers who make our work possible. You will develop, implement, and deliver appropriate actions to achieve positive and measurable outcomes and opportunities for the Peruvian children & adults with whom we work and with the volunteers and interns who work with us. You will work under the guidance of the UK Directors ensuring our volunteers are happy, supported and are working effectively to achieve positive results at OCN and our partner projects.
• minimum bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, preferably but not necessarily in development studies, international studies, Latin American studies, environmental studies, social work or other relevant subject;
• knowledge, experience and demonstrated success in obtaining funds from trusts or other donors;
• minimum three years of work experience (paid or unpaid) on fundraising;
• research, apply for and gain funding for the work of the charity from a number of sources;
revenue funding from charitable trusts and other grant making bodies; project funding for specific work discussed and agreed with UK Directors; one-off funding opportunities for capital and revenue from local, regional and national sources; in-kind donations from businesses, social groups and individuals.
• advanced level of Spanish and native speaker level written & spoken English language;
• experience in event management, community fundraising and/or inspiring others to fundraise
• good level of numeracy including confidence to manage a range of spreadsheets
• cultural awareness with some international experience (through study, travel, volunteering, etc), preferably in Latin America
• strong interpersonal skills; ability to work well with a diverse volunteer population, small OCN Peru team, UK directors & local project managers
• sound judgment, even under pressure; loyalty to OCN, our partners and volunteers and respect for confidentiality
• computer skills in Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
• committed, reliable worker with ability to show attention to detail and to multitask & time manage effectively
• self-motivated and able to progress own work without need for constant supervision
• the ability to work with Peruvian and a wide range of international cultures, different managerial styles and to work remotely as part of a global team
• good organisational and administrative skills and willing to learn new skills e.g. book-keeping
• flexibility and willingness to work evenings and at weekends when necessary and be on call for emergencies 24/7
• passion for the work and to make a difference, as well as enthusiasm and patience to work with volunteers (who are mostly 18-30)
• fast and independent learner, positive, adaptable, and flexible
• a good team player who can listen and value other opinions
• experience in any of the following areas:
o monitoring and evaluation
o Project planning and management
● experience of working abroad and/or as part of a dispersed team and/or of being a volunteer
● experience in managing volunteers and/or staff members
● experience living in a developing country and some of the issues faced, such as severe poverty, inequality, lack of resources, corruption
● an understanding of Peruvian culture and/or Latin American culture
● Roles and Responsibilities
Fundraising (50% of your time)
● identifying and approaching trusts, foundations and other potential funders that have not previously supported the work of Otra Cosa Network, creating an annual calendar of key prospects
● establishing and maintaining a fundraising strategy for Otra Cosa Network, in liaison with UK directors as well as an action plan for the implementation of the strategy
● developing core generic trust proposals for each project that requires funding
● writing tailored applications, addressing grant-making priorities or requirements as specified by individual trusts and foundations
● approaching local funders to seek support for OCN’s projects and core funds
● developing good partnerships nationally and locally for our HELP projects, particularly focused on the areas of donations and Corporate Social Responsibility
● maintaining organised electronic files of all fundraising information
● helping to develop information for induction, fundraising manuals and other resources for use by fundraising volunteers
● helping to ensure the continued success of our community fundraising events, which provide key funding to our projects
● directly managing fundraising volunteers
OCN Project Management
● managing and/or supervising OCN’s programmes, ensuring that they continue to develop and that they are monitored effectively.
● supervising the coordinators and/or volunteers at the projects
● ensuring that project finances are properly maintained, recorded and monitored
● recruitment & selection of volunteers
● introducing volunteers to their projects
● offering general/emergency assistance
● liaising with several of our project partners
● leading project tours every 2-3 months, so that volunteers can visit our other projects and have a broader understanding of the work that we do
OCN Office Administration and Additional Tasks
● general office administration, including maintaining spreadsheets, and management information reports
● support OCN health and safety and child protection policies
● other ad hoc tasks
● co-managing the volunteer house, including dealing with volunteer house maintenance issues and paying house-related bills
• an excellent opportunity to not only work in fundraising, but also to implement and develop the projects on the ground. The potential to build skills & experience by helping to manage the Peru office of our small but growing NGO.
• to make a real difference to some of the most disadvantaged children & adults in North Peru.
• to help volunteers make a real contribution while being supported, challenged, inspired, and also remaining safe & secure.
• receive a local Peruvian salary in addition to free comfortable accommodation in our Volunteer House.
• Work visa and residency permit available through our Peruvian NGO
• One paid return flight per 12 months (Max £800)
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org